Armen Yousoufian's Blog

After 30 years in business/investment real estate, I added "citizen activist" to my resume in 1997 when I requested sports stadium documents of King County Executive Ron Sims. After being "stonewalled", I sued, winning more at every stage, up to the state Supreme Court. Documents disgorged by Sims (after 4 years denying they existed!) revealed rigged studies. Sims misled the public on the stadiums. Other issues found me (e.g. Critical Areas Ordinance). Google “Armen Yousoufian” for more.

Name:
Location: Vashon, Washington, United States

I was born and raised in New York City. I took classical violin lessons for 10 years and studied astronomy. I built telescopes, grinding the mirrors from scratch. I was a nerd! I considered a career in classical violin but chose astrophysics. I majored in Physics at Rutgers University for 2 years, then switched and graduated in mechanical engineering. I moved to Seattle in 1969 to work on missiles for Boeing, got an MBA from Seattle University, and became a business and real estate entrepreneur for over 30 years. In 1997 I became involved in open government activism when I asked King County Executive Ron Sims for sports stadium documents. I was stonewalled. I sued under the Open Records, or Public Disclosure, Act. I won the case in King County Superior Court, but still didn’t get all the documents, nor recovered my legal fees, which the law said I was entitled to be reimbursed. I appealed and won more in the Court of Appeals and the court of public opinion. But I still didn’t get all the documents! I appealed again and won yet more in the Washington State Supreme Court. But I still don’t have all the documents! While that fight goes on I have become involved in new issues.

Monday, February 19, 2007

February 14, 2007 article in Vashon Beachcomber

In its Wednesday, February 14, 2007 edition, my hometown weekly newspaper had the following article by its editor, Leslie Brown (for the record, I find the county's response typical, disingenuous, and the usual spin control. E.g. the county had designated Public Disclosure Officers for each department I dealt with already, back in 1997, when I originally made my request.):

Islander Armen Yousoufian scored another legal victory last week in his long-running battle against King County over its failure to release hundreds of pages of documents nearly a decade ago.

The state Court of Appeals, in a unanimous decision issued on Feb. 5, ruled that the lower court erred when it ordered King County to pay Yousoufian $15 a day — or $123,000 altogether — for its failure to comply with the state Public Disclosure Act. The Court of Appeals sent the case back to King County Superior Court to determine a new penalty.

The decision is the latest twist in a battle that began 10 years ago, when Yousoufian first asked the county to provide him with documents having to do with the public financing of a new football stadium. Yousoufian sued County Executive Ron Sims in 2000.

The latest ruling is the second one handed down by the Court of Appeals and the third issued by an appellate court (the case also went to the state Supreme Court). In all three of those instances, the courts have ruled in Yousoufian’s favor and ordered the trial judge to increase the county’s fine.

It’s also a case that has made Yousoufian — a Seattle businessman and self-described open-government activist — something of a cause celebre in media circles and among other crusaders for strong public disclosure laws.

News stories about his latest victory have run in at least three daily newspapers. The “Seattle Post-Intelligencer” wrote an editorial supporting his case. Several blogs have carried stories. And last week Yousoufian spent an hour on a radio show hosted by KIRO talk show host Dori Monson, whose show — often a tirade against King County and government in general — is one of the region’s highest-rated shows.

Yousoufian said he was pleased by the appellate court’s decision but added that “it’s not clear how much of a victory it is” — since the court remanded the case instead of issuing what Yousoufian called “a hefty, daily penalty that the facts in my case clearly seem to justify.”

“Clearly, it improves the eventual outcome. But we don’t know what the eventual outcome will be. (King County Superior Court Judge Michael) Hayden may give me another $10 to $25 dollars a day. That’s nowhere near the deterrent necessary to make sure government agencies comply with the law,” he said.

The county hasn’t decided if it will appeal the decision, said Carolyn Duncan, Sims’ communications director.

Duncan added that the county has made significant strides in how it handles public disclosure requests in recent years, both because of Yousoufian’s suit and because of a significant increase in requests for government documents. The county, for instance, now has an enhanced and permanent training program in place for employees who need to know about public disclosure laws and has hired a public disclosure officer, Duncan said.

“There’s much more oversight for any given request, and we’re coordinating with the prosecutor in a way that we’ve never done before,” she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home