Armen Yousoufian's Blog

After 30 years in business/investment real estate, I added "citizen activist" to my resume in 1997 when I requested sports stadium documents of King County Executive Ron Sims. After being "stonewalled", I sued, winning more at every stage, up to the state Supreme Court. Documents disgorged by Sims (after 4 years denying they existed!) revealed rigged studies. Sims misled the public on the stadiums. Other issues found me (e.g. Critical Areas Ordinance). Google “Armen Yousoufian” for more.

Name:
Location: Vashon, Washington, United States

I was born and raised in New York City. I took classical violin lessons for 10 years and studied astronomy. I built telescopes, grinding the mirrors from scratch. I was a nerd! I considered a career in classical violin but chose astrophysics. I majored in Physics at Rutgers University for 2 years, then switched and graduated in mechanical engineering. I moved to Seattle in 1969 to work on missiles for Boeing, got an MBA from Seattle University, and became a business and real estate entrepreneur for over 30 years. In 1997 I became involved in open government activism when I asked King County Executive Ron Sims for sports stadium documents. I was stonewalled. I sued under the Open Records, or Public Disclosure, Act. I won the case in King County Superior Court, but still didn’t get all the documents, nor recovered my legal fees, which the law said I was entitled to be reimbursed. I appealed and won more in the Court of Appeals and the court of public opinion. But I still didn’t get all the documents! I appealed again and won yet more in the Washington State Supreme Court. But I still don’t have all the documents! While that fight goes on I have become involved in new issues.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

DDES' upcoming free Vashon workshop on "flexibility" of CAO

If you haven't already seen or heard about DDES' upcoming September 22 program on Vashon Island re: the CAO (did you know: "One of the greatest strengths of the new set of regulations is the flexibility and incentive options available"?) , check out what's happening (coming soon to a King County venue near you?) at:

http://www.metrokc.gov/ddes/lusd/ddesclass.htm (text included below after my name, in case the link doesn't work or you have dial-up and don't want to wait...)

Note the comment:

"One of the greatest strengths of the new set of regulations is the incentive and flexibility options available to landowners during the building and development process."

Armen Yousoufian


DDES Workshops and Events

UPCOMING EVENTSOpen House · Sept. 22, 2005 New!

VIEW EVENTS ONLINE

WORKSHOPS ON KCTV

MAILING LIST
DDES will be offering several educational events throughout 2005.
UPCOMING EVENTS
Open House CAO for Rural Property Owners · September 22, 2005 - Vashon Island

Open House
Title: Introduction to the Critical Areas Ordinance: Flexibility Programs, Incentive Programs & the Permit Process for Rural Property OwnersDates and Locations: · September 22, 2005 - Vashon High School, Vashon Island, 6 - 8:30 p.m.Cost: Free. No registration required.
The King County Department of Development and Environmental Services (DDES) and the King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks (DNRP) are jointly presenting Introduction to the Critical Areas Ordinance: Flexibility Programs, Incentive Programs & the Permit Process for Rural Property Owners.
Open House Objectives
Who Should Attend?
Agenda
Open House Objectives
The CAO for Rural Property Owners open house is designed to answer questions on what regulations apply if you build on or change how you use your property.
You will learn how critical areas regulations apply in unincorporated King County. One of the greatest strengths of the new set of regulations is the flexibility and incentive options available to landowners during the building and development process.
This open house provides an opportunity to
Get an overview of the most recent changes to development regulations in King County.
Learn about the flexibility and incentive programs available to rural property owners who intend to build or change the use on their property.
Learn how to initiate farm management, forestry and rural stewardship planning projects.
Learn about tax benefit programs offered by King County.
Top of Page
Who Should Attend the CAO Open House?
Property owners in the unincorporated rural portion of King County who are considering development, a building project or a change of use on their property.
Open House Agenda
6 - 6:30 p.m.
GREETING AND INTRODUCTION TO THE CRITICAL AREAS ORDINANCE

· Objectives of critical area regulations · Regulatory parameters of the CAO · Objectives in developing incentive and flexibility programs · Introduction to open house format and goals
6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
BREAK TO OPEN HOUSE FORMATChoose from the following stations where DDES and DNRP staff will be available to answer questions:Fixed Regulations - Two Stations · Drainage · Clearing & Grading · Critical AreasQuestions About My Property Station · Property-specific research by staff using County mapping systemsIncentive & Flexibility Programs Station · Rural Stewardship Planning · Farm Management Planning · Forest Management Planning · Tax Incentive Programs
Top of Page
Thursday, September 22, 2005: CAO Open House / Vashon Island
Location: Vashon High School, 20120 Vashon Hwy. SW, Vashon Island, WATime: 6 - 8:30 p.m.Directions: A map & directions are at www.vashonsd.wednet.edu/vhs/contact.htm* (scroll to view).Details: See open house information and agenda.
Top of Page

VIEW DDES WORKSHOPS & EVENTS ONLINE
The following DDES workshops and events can be viewed online. The streaming video requires RealPlayer, which may be downloaded for free at www.real.com*.
Please note: A "page cannot be displayed" error occurs if RealPlayer has not been installed. If this happens when clicking on the links below, install or reinstall RealPlayer* and try again.
The Critical Areas Ordinance: Critical Areas Overview and the Permit Process (streaming video of January 28, 2005 DDES Workshop)
What Can I Do With My Property? Conducting Effective Property Research in Unincorporated King County (streaming video of December 10, 2004 DDES workshop)
Getting to Yes with DDES: The Residential Building Permit Process (streaming video of May 7, 2004 DDES workshop)
DDES Open House Announcing "Build Green" Incentives (streaming video of June 22, 2005 DDES open house)
The Critical Areas Ordinance workshop is available on DVD as well. Please contact Paula Adams at 206-296-6682 or e-mail paula.adams@metrokc.gov to order.
Top of Page

PAST WORKSHOPS ON KING COUNTY TELEVISION
King County TV broadcast dates for past DDES workshops can be found on the King County Television Weekly Schedule. To find workshop dates quickly, use your browser's Edit > Find function or Ctrl+F and type in the keyword DDES.
King County Television is on Comcast - channel 22 and Millennium Cable - channel 72 or 80.
Look for these DDES workshops on the King County TV schedule:
The Critical Areas Ordinance: Critical Areas Overview and the Permit Process (DDES Workshop presented January 28, 2005)
What Can I Do With My Property? Conducting Effective Property Research in Unincorporated King County (DDES Workshop presented December 10, 2004)
Getting to Yes with DDES: The Residential Building Permit Process (DDES Workshop presented May 7, 2004)
Top of Page

MAILING LIST: E-mail Alerts for Future Workshops
To receive notices of upcoming DDES workshops and events by e-mail, subscribe to the DDES E-mail list. Go to www.metrokc.gov/ddes/subscribe/ for more information and easy sign-up instructions, or contact Paula Adams, DDES Communications Director, at 206-296-6682 or paula.adams@metrokc.gov.
Top of Page
*external link

Updated: August 4, 2005
For alternate formats, call 206-296-6600.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home