Armen Yousoufian's Blog

After 30 years in business/investment real estate, I added "citizen activist" to my resume in 1997 when I requested sports stadium documents of King County Executive Ron Sims. After being "stonewalled", I sued, winning more at every stage, up to the state Supreme Court. Documents disgorged by Sims (after 4 years denying they existed!) revealed rigged studies. Sims misled the public on the stadiums. Other issues found me (e.g. Critical Areas Ordinance). Google “Armen Yousoufian” for more.

Name:
Location: Vashon, Washington, United States

I was born and raised in New York City. I took classical violin lessons for 10 years and studied astronomy. I built telescopes, grinding the mirrors from scratch. I was a nerd! I considered a career in classical violin but chose astrophysics. I majored in Physics at Rutgers University for 2 years, then switched and graduated in mechanical engineering. I moved to Seattle in 1969 to work on missiles for Boeing, got an MBA from Seattle University, and became a business and real estate entrepreneur for over 30 years. In 1997 I became involved in open government activism when I asked King County Executive Ron Sims for sports stadium documents. I was stonewalled. I sued under the Open Records, or Public Disclosure, Act. I won the case in King County Superior Court, but still didn’t get all the documents, nor recovered my legal fees, which the law said I was entitled to be reimbursed. I appealed and won more in the Court of Appeals and the court of public opinion. But I still didn’t get all the documents! I appealed again and won yet more in the Washington State Supreme Court. But I still don’t have all the documents! While that fight goes on I have become involved in new issues.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Washington Supreme Court rules favorably - again

This will be a short post to let you know that the Washington State Supreme Court issued an opinion in my case this morning. Once again the ruling is in favor of the citizens - making six out of six courtroom victories so far in the nearly 12 years this saga has taken. The opinion is decidedly in favor of substantially higher daily penalties being awarded (on remand) by a factor of potentially about 6 times (i.e. a potential $100 per day award vs the latest award of $15 per day for the delay periods for the various documents not produced for, in many cases, 4 years after my request). As two of the justices stated: "...the penalty imposed on remand should approach, if not reach, the maximum statutorily allowed." - the maximum allowed being $100 day (quote is from Justice Jim Johnson's concurring opinion - see links to opinions and articles below). This is a tremendous vindication of the cause I have pursued since May, 1997, nearly 12 years ago.

I've spent much of the day being interviewed by the Associated Press and the Seattle Times and will post links later as material is published. That said, here's what's already come out:

Associated Press article, published so far in Seattle Post Intelligencer and probably out in many other papers (plus many comments by readers)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/396185_disclosure16.html

Evergreen Freedom Foundation posting:

http://www.libertylive.org/blog_main/post.php?post_id=1103

Seattle Times editorial:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/2008633308_editb16yousoufian.html

Tacoma News Tribune:

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/politics/2009/01/15/supreme_court_says_judge_fined_king_coun

Seattle Times articles, with reader comments:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008634541_disclosure16m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008632151_webdisclosure16m.html

To read the Supreme Court's opinion(s), for the next two weeks or so, you can go the following link at the site of the Washington State Supreme Court, or, in case it doesn't work, go to http://www.courts.wa.gov/ and follow links to the Appellate Courts, the Supreme Court, and then opinions for January 15, 2009.

Here's the link to the majority opinion (there was one majority opinion, 2 concurring opinions, 1 concurrence/dissent, and 1 dissenting opinion):

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=800812MAJ

If you want to read the other 4 opinions (i.e. the 2 concurring opinions, 1 concurrence/dissent, and 1 dissenting opinion), go to this next link, look for cases under today's date, January 15, 2009, and click on the appropriate links following the first listing of my case (Yousoufian vs. Office of Ron Sims):

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.recent

Armen Yousoufian








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home